Saturday, November 23, 2019

Blair's Week 4 Update - Thailand


Week 4 Chiang Mai Update


Photo 1: Wat Doi Mae Pang















-->
Last week was the last week of cardiology, and it was busy for the fellows. I've gotten much better at auscultation during this rotation because Dr. Narawut continued to have me listen to patients and then quiz me with findings and differential. I rarely used the bell of the stethoscope before this, but it was essential that I learned to use it to give him a more complete cardiac exam with S3/S4, rumbles, and bruits. I also was able to pick out several fellows who were able to teach me more about echocardiography.

Over the weekend, I stuck around Chiang Mai so that I could catch up on some research work, but I did get out for some shorter trips. I got a ride part-way and then biked along 1001 to Wat Doi Mai Pang, which was the residence of the monk Luang Por Waen Sucinno. The ride out was gorgeous and is a route that has become popular for cyclists, mainly Thai. Along the route I encountered a Thudong monk who was making a long walk from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, I offered him some food and he gave a blessing/chant.





-->
The temple and grounds were very nice. There were some relics of Luang Por Waen, a lake filled with ravenous catfish, a very nice temple (photo at top), and meditation building.



-->
                                                                              Photo 2: Lake with ravenous catfish
I also visited Wat Pha Lat and Wat Umong (on Monday). Wat Pha Lat is an often overlooked temple on the way to Doi Suthep. It has a forest monastery feel, with waterfall, many statues, and meditation hall. Wat Umong is an old temple (~700 years) south of Chiang Mai University that has a tunnel system below an unpainted Lanna-style Chedi. Consistent with the Lanna theme, there is a replica of Ashok pillar.





-->
                                                                                   Two photos of Wat Pha Lat

-->
                                                                                        Photo 3: Wat Umong


-->
                                                                                                 Wat Umong

Two weeks in

*disclaimer* This was written a few days ago and now being posted!   Mambo from Arusha! It has been two weeks into our four month long stay...