Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Update #2 from Internal Medicine Resident Matt Goers on International Rotation in Uganda

For the past 2 months I've had the pleasure of working with IOM Uganda. When I arrived in mid-January, I didn't quite know what to expect, but when I walked into the IOM Kampala ofice I was overwhelmed by the number of warm and friendly people I encountered (as well as all the food). My first week in Kampala was a mixture of getting to know the way IOM works as well as shadowing the IOM physicians and staff. I got to sit in during refugee screenings and meet applicants for resettlement from Somalia, South Sudan, Rwanda and the DRC. They had some incredible stories, and by the end of the first week, I was already loving my work. 

Our first trip out to a refugee camp was to the Nakivale Resttlement camp near Mbarara, Uganda. This would be my first visit to a refugee camp and also my first experience participating in refugee relocation screens. We spent nearly 3 weeks screening over 500 patients, and I quickly started to see the purpose for the screenings. We found people with pneumonia, tuberculosis and Burkitt’s lymphoma. We found people in need of mental health services and newly diagnosed pregnancies in need of further obstetric care. I saw how powerful it was to help someone through a new illness, but also move towards a new life in the process.

After Mbarara, we came back to Kampala for only one day before being whisked away to Kyenjojo, Uganda for another mission. This time, we screened around 250 refugees, and began to work on a side project further evaluating applicants who were found to have abnormal findings during their examinations. During a previous IOM mission to the Kyangwali camp near Hoima, Uganda, providers had noticed that nearly 1 in 6 refugees presenting for medical screenings had enlarged spleens. During our mission to Kyaka (near Kyenjojo, Uganda) we found similar findings in Congolese applicants, and by the end of my trip, had begun working on a project evaluating for potential causes in the community. 

It wasn't “all work and no play,” however, and during my time in Uganda I had my fill of new experiences (and new foods). I learned a little Swahli, Lugandan and Somali from some of the refugees and staff, and sampled a lot of the local cuisine (even trying matoke for the first time). Dr. Gladys made sure I was never hungry, and Dr. Saul made sure I was never bored or without a good laugh. During the last week in Kampala a few of us even took a day trip to Jinja, Uganda to see the Nile. We got to go rafting over some of the rapids, and I’m proud to say I stayed dry despite the Nile’s best efforts (mostly). 

I keep telling people what an amazing experience this trip ended up being, but I haven't been able to fully explain it to people back in the U.S. Maybe it has to do with the work we were involved in, helping refugees relocate and start a new life. Maybe it was getting to immerse myself in a new culture, and finding some new friends in the process. But I think what was truly extraordinary about my time was that I never felt like I left home. I had the distinct pleasure of getting to work with a group of people who treated me like a part of their family, and who made sure I never wanted for anything and even humored my silly questions and comments throughout my stay.

I left Uganda with a heavy heart. This experience has to be one of the most rewarding and fascinating experiences of my life. It is possible, though, that somewhere down the road I’ll see some of these refugees in the United States. Many of the applicants I met will be eventually relocated to the U.S., and some may even come to call Minnesota home. If I do see them again, it will just add to the long list of amazing experiences I've had from Uganda. We'll have to find some matoke somewhere in the Twin Cities.

IOM vehicle outside of Mayanja Hospital in Mbarara, Uganda
View from apartment overlooking Kampala, Uganda
Panoramic of Nile River from balcony

Two weeks in

*disclaimer* This was written a few days ago and now being posted!   Mambo from Arusha! It has been two weeks into our four month long stay...