Saturday, January 24, 2015

Karibu, by Med/Peds Resident Ryan Fabrizius on International Rotation in Arusha, Tanzania


Karibu Jambo from Arusha, Tanzania! I am so grateful and blessed to be here in this beautiful country with a genuinely lovely people and culture. Prior to starting work at Selian Hospital, I had the wonderful opportunity to see some of Tanzania's true treasures including Zanzibar and the Serengeti National Park. With this introduction to the country, I was still in a sense of awe, a feeling of other-worldly experience at these sights I had seen in pictures but never expected to see first hand. I arrived at Selian Hospital and Arusha Lutheran Medical Center on Monday looking forward to starting the work I came here to do. 

Karibu, in Swahili, as many of you know, means welcome. I have already heard it used in a number of contexts, ranging as widely as (paraphrased in English to my understanding) "welcome to our country", "you're welcome to drink chai now", "please come into my store and have a look around", "I'll give you a ride on my motorcycle taxi", and as a response to "thank you". Though our English word "you're welcome" seems to cover many similar meanings, I have been struck by how frequently this word is used. It could be that I am so obviously a foreigner (not too many 6'8'' bearded caucasian men in this country) that I am consistently offered a welcome. But I like to think that this offer is an invitation to enter into the community here, to experience what life is like for the people who call Tanzania home, to learn the triumphs and struggles that Tanzanian's experience on a daily basis, to share in the efforts to bring high quality medical care to the community. I am familiar with the false belief that the complex social and economic problems of the developing world can be solved by benevolent humanitarians from rich countries. I sense the temptation to feel that certain people might "welcome" us foreigners to solve their problems. But I have seen a convincing glimpse of the resilience and commitment of Tanzanians working to build a country with opportunity, fairness, and help for the poor. Their Karibu is not "please rescue us"; it is, to me, "please join us in learning together" and "let us share a commitment to each other". I have seen this particularly in a few of the medical workers in the hospital here, including Joseph the pediatric registrar at Selian Hospital. Joseph has completely shattered all my expectations of what local doctors at the government hospital are like. He has a tremendous fund of knowledge about pediatrics, an inspiring compassion towards the children that he treats, and an encouraging drive to learn more in his profession. I will have more to write on him and other local doctors and trainees later.

I would like to end with a short story.  During pediatric rounds, we often see infants who have been admitted with Severe Acute Malnutrition. After a few days, children who were admitted with edema are transitioned from the initial F-75 refeeding formula to F-100, showing good tolerance of the formula and some increase in weight. When they are in need of only a few more days of refeeding in a hospital setting to minimize complications (such as return of edema, refeeding syndrome, or infection), mothers sometimes request to leave the hospital. Fortunately, care of children under the age of five years old is covered by the government (not including certain medications that must be bought at outside pharmacies), so the haste for mothers to depart seemed illogical to me.  When I asked Joseph why they wanted to leave so prematurely, he responded that "if the child stays, the mother cannot eat". There is no food service for patients (other than refeeding formulas for those with malnutrition) or families at the hospital, so they must provide their own, which is extremely difficult for families coming from far distances. When I expressed my awe at the terrible situation, he responded "welcome to Tanzania". It would be easy to take this as a fatalistic declaration of the state of health care and social determinants in this country, however, that is not how I took it. Joseph and the medical team generally come up with a plan together to assure the ongoing treatment of a child in this situation without leaving the mother to have to choose between her health and her child's. In this situation, I began to catch a glimpse of the awful reality of poverty, but a ray of hope in the commitment of people like Joseph in coming up with solutions. This "welcome to Tanzania" said to me: this is the current state of things, but we are already fighting to make it better. 

Two weeks in

*disclaimer* This was written a few days ago and now being posted!   Mambo from Arusha! It has been two weeks into our four month long stay...