Saturday, January 24, 2015

Thailand #1, by Med/Peds Resident Kristina Krohn on International Rotation in Chiang Mai, Thailand


I have rarely travelled with as much support as I have on this trip. Both my husband and my mom joined me at first for bit of tourism in Burma/Myanmar. Then I received tons of help and advice from our fellow residents (Darin Ruanpeng, Katie Anderson and Mamie Thant). And I don't have enough space to describe all that Pat Walker has done to arrange this rotation and connect me with wonderful people here.

First Darin, she went out of her way to help Joe Messana and I find housing in Thailand. Connecting though facebook with physician friends back home, I even have a computer generated map to show the cabbie when I get off the airplane in Chiang Mai! 

Then Katie Anderson met with Sheiphali Gandhi and I (Joe had to work) to give us a heads up on Thai culture. Notes to myself: don't point the soles of my feet at anyone, don't touch people's heads and don't step on money as it has the King's likeness. All very important things to know!

Katie also recommended going out of my way to climb to the 62nd floor of the Banyan Tree Hotel and fork out the money for a drink on the outdoor bar, in order to fully enjoy the view over the emensity that is Bangkok. There is nothing quite like being 62 floors up, with a drink and nothing more than hand rails between you and air.

Lastly, Mamie Thant was indisensible for my trip to Burma/Myanmar. She provided me with a lot of great historical context, and traditional foods that I needed to try. My palate may never be the same.

Now, as I sit in the airport, I find myself in a familiar state of anticipation. My husband and mom have left to return to the states. I am alone. I have done what I can to prepare myself, but as always, I really have no idea what I have just gotten myself into.

For me, travel never quite feels real until this moment. My head full of advice, but unable to do anything more than wait for the next flight. The flight that takes me to my new temporary home - Chiang Mai.

Two weeks in

*disclaimer* This was written a few days ago and now being posted!   Mambo from Arusha! It has been two weeks into our four month long stay...