Sunday, November 3, 2019

Blair's 1st week update - Thailand

Blair Edmiston's Week 1 Update from Chiang Mai, Thailand

Has been a good first week in Chiang Mai. I came off of working ICU nights at Regions, finishing my last shift Monday morning and flying out around 4pm that afternoon, long layover in San Francisco, and arriving in Chiang Mai at 10:30 am on Wednesday. That day I spent getting situation in my apartment, going up the Doi Suthep, and Wat Chedi Luang.

First Tom Yum
Doi Suthep
View from apartment

On my second day, I met Dr Quan at Chiang Mai University and she connected me with hem/onc fellows, and then with Dr Adisak. He saw quite a few patients that morning, and that afternoon  there were letters. In the evening I found a restaurant specializing in organic salads/smoothies called Ohkhaju (I think they have a branch in Bangkok as well). Highly recommended! After that, I walked to the Thai Massage school Shivagakomarpaj for a 1.5 hour Thai Massage, which my legs needed after the long flight.

Chiang Mai University Hospital
Exceptionally good smoothies at Ohkhaju
Salad at Okhaju
Shivagakomarpaj Massage School (near Okhaju)

Day 3 (Friday)
Rounded with Dr. Zhang and did consults where we reviewed blood smears, again with lectures in the evening covering three topics - CLL, coagulation lab testing, eosinophilia. 
Reviewing blood smears with Dr Zhang
Grocery shopping, horrified by the cost of imported IPAs

Weekend!
Had some incredibly good coffee to start the day, went to Doi Inthanon National Park, then Saturday Night Market. Sunday, rested at home, did some reading, cleaning, organizing. Then made an afternoon trip toe a temple, Was Phraphutthabat Si Roi (gorgeous drive out)

Starting the day with with some fancy coffee
Top of Doi Inthanon
Inside the temple
Snake during hike. Poisonous? Don’t know, not getting close
Waterfall on trail
Waterfall number 2 on trail
Phraphutthabat Si Roi 

On drive to Phraphutthabat Si Roi

Two weeks in

*disclaimer* This was written a few days ago and now being posted!   Mambo from Arusha! It has been two weeks into our four month long stay...